Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Blessing in Disguise: Giving up my Dream to be a Stay at Home Mom

When we moved into our current apartment, we had to really evaluate the contribution of my job to this family. Even through the stress and frustrations I love teaching. It has been my dream since I was in preschool. But to continue in my job, I would be putting both of my young children into the childcare system. This would cost us approximately $300 a week, just a little less than my weekly paycheck. Add in gas and other work expenses and I would be paying to go to work while someone else raised my children. I did not have children to let someone else raise them, so I finished out the school year and became a stay at home mom. My husband was concerned that I would regret giving up my dream. I can't lie, I did struggle with some resentment until I figured out that I had not given up my dream. My dream had simply changed form. I still teach. My students are just my own children instead of other people's. When my kids are both in school I may go back to teaching in a classroom, but that decision will be made when the time comes. This was by far the best decision for my family. With one parent gone so much because he is a trucker, my kids have really benefited from the stability of having the other parent in the home. My toddler is no longer afraid of groups of people. My preschooler has a much better relationship with both of us. I no longer feel stretched quite as thin. My stress level is lower and I sleep better at night. I am not costing my family money by trying to keep my dream the way I thought it should be, I can now focus entirely on my family, and I get to teach my two most precious treasures. Definitely a blessing disguised as a sacrifice! What sacrifices have you made for the financial benefit of your family that have turned into blessings in disguise?  

No comments:

Post a Comment